Monday 21 October 2013

A Walk in Prague on a Saturday Night



On a Saturday night, some time ago, when my fellow Erasmus friends were at a football match and I was along at home. The idea of staying home alone on a Saturday night was just too depressing so I decided to go out for a walk. What was meant to be a 30 min walk turned out to be much longer and quite an interesting experience. I was walking through my neighborhood and started to take a few pictures of Prague at night like these ones:  

Near Malostranske Namesti at night fall 



Lockers in the "Venice" of Prague



A view on Narodni Divadlo (The National Theater) from the West bank of the river. 


Prague is an enchanting city at night time and it is quite pleasant to just walk around the city. At this stage I was considering turning back to go back home. However, I heard some music at the distance which caught my attention, so I started to make my way towards the source of the music and I ended up near Kampa Island where I saw stands where they were selling beer, sausages, smoked ham and hot wine. A bit further  a little stage and some music - there was a small concert on. It is was full of Czech people of all ages just having fun dancing and listening to famous pop songs sang in Czech, so if you ever wondered what's the Czech version of "Tragedy" by the Bee Gees or "I Had the Time of my Life" check these 2 videos: 









It was a fun little party where Czechs as well as foreigners, small children as well as older people were enjoying dancing to the classic hits sang live. Knowing the original lyrics of the songs and understanding another Slavonic languages it was interesting trying to understand what was sang in Czech. After a while I decided to move on, crossed the Legii Bridge trying to make my way up towards Charles Bridge to get back home. I noticed how the people around me, locals as well as tourists were in some kind of party atmosphere and  good mood. Prague at night has this very unique feel to it. Walking along the bank of the river, I came across this scene (as shown in the video below or click on link). 



I thought it was quite amusing to see these people randomly partying on the street. I must say that I have witnessed a few strange/amusing things in Prague since I have arrived. After that I just met on my way a few polish guy and then met up with the Erasmus people and I learnt then that a short walk in Prague will never be as short as you think it will be. 

Bye for now! 


Helena 



No comments:

Post a Comment